THE TOWN WHERE EVERYBODY SWEATS

My First Moments.
Hooting not a distant far. Trains moving at a snails pace. The weather is hot. As I seat, sipping my salty water outside, the fullness of life can not be ignored.

The Kabaza (bicycle taxi) men passing through at a constant rate. The bikes are very well labelled. "Amzunga 1, Chisale Transport etc". They resemble vanity number plates. The cyclists work hard. Making a few hundred kwachas a day, or well, over a thousand or several thousands a day.

The inter mixture of cultures is also evident. The Yao and Chichewa languages are the ones you will find here.

Balaka is a town of life. Everybody sweats. The vendors sweat to make money. For some like me, we also sweat because Balaka is hot.

Literally, Balaka is a town where everybody sweats. Before I go back to where I came from, I chose to observe life around here.

This is the second time I am in this southern district. Balaka is just as Lilongwe. The roads are bad. Excerpt for the tarmac passing through it. Balaka is just as Mzuzu, there is a serious meeting of cultures.

Balaka is just as Zomba, development has just been by chance and not by plan. Balaka is just like Nsanje, it's hot and everybody sweats.

 At the "ma tavern" market place, the disorganisation and filthness is just like at "Vigwagwa" in Mzuzu, or Blantyre market, or Lilongwe's free market. The sanitation is nothing a sane mind wants to think about.

So after all, I am in Malawi and this is suprising if I am not sweating, and therefore not in Balaka, or any part of the country. But no.

 I have seen almost everything.

Malawi is just the same. Anywhere in the country, people dump waste where they want. In Malawi people pick public bins and put them in their homes. Bins in places like markets are left to make manure.

Literally, in Balaka everybody sweats. To make money. To think. And to stay idle, as I got myself to sweat.

In Balaka, people litter too. The thieves in government are in Balaka too. The pace of life and development is clearly symbolised by the slow trains.

 I will tell you about Balaka.

Comments

Fred said…
Oh Balala. Keep it up. Read it again and again. Udatengera ndani?
Daniel Sato said…
Am humbled, thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

WHY THE PRESIDENT WON’T SAVE YOU

A SHORT ACCOUNT FROM CHIRUNGA

A TRIP IN LILONGWE