A SEQUEL; WHY I NEVER WROTE POLY AND THE ART OF IMPUNITY PART 2



One of my readers commented on one of my entries, “Poly and the art of impunity, part 1” (http://www.chikondisato.blogspot.com/2015/09/poly-and-art-of-impunity-part-1.html). He said the arguments I raised did not fully substantiate my line of argument. As a writer, I couldn’t argue more, I asked him to read the title of that entry; it clearly stated that the entry was part 1 of a series I had embarked on. Yes it was part 1 and I couldn’t expect to raise everything in it, rather I wanted it to build up. But now as per my plan, I choose to abandon the series that never was.

So here I am, with my notebook computer on my working table. As usual I am reading new and old stuff from my favourite writers. Zebedee, Ephraim Munthali, George Kasakula, Levi Manda, Madalitso Mussa and Innocent Chitosi, in that order. I must confess that every time I read their columns, my mind opens up to new ideas. In the end one thing catches my attention….

Levi Manda, in his entry, talks about how he enlightened the issue of tractors handed over to the government of Malawi during the Bingu WA Mutharika era. These tractors, according to Manda ended up in people’s farms instead of achieving agricultural mechanization as the masses said.  

Manda laments that as a writer, he feels let down by the populace, that despite bringing issues such as these to light, he sees nothing being done. Yes, so many agendas have been set and will be set by the media but what happens usually when such issues are brought to light. Writers will show the light and will continue doing so. But if nothing is done, this country will remain feeling the pangs of poverty that currently hit us heavy blows.

After coming across this piece, I decide on one thing. I cancel the series. I am no longer writing about Poly.

Why I will not write again about Poly is because I know nothing will change. 

Did people not write about Chasowa? I remember reading the inquiry report into the cause of the death of Robert. (http://www.nyasatimes.com/2012/10/19/malawis-chasowa-report-more-revelations-in-it/). The report clearly presents the failed institution that Poly is. The good thing is such reports always come with recommendations. What will an entry like mine change when a report like this one continues to be trashed?

Same old stories. Same practices. Same people at the helm.

I will not write about Poly anymore. For I know exactly what happens. People painting the administration block and landscaping it so well because it is what people see. I know exactly what happens. I know that the internal procurement committee advertises in the newspapers that it wants people to renovate the hostels and other infrastructure every single academic year but it never happens. That it wants people to supply curtains but it never happens. And many more other adverts…

I will not write because the system is so jammed up that it closed its kitchen for fear of electricity bills. The system is jammed I tell you. There is systematic cashgate with people depositing money in fixed accounts and delaying student allowances just to get some interest.

My posts are usually 700 words long, but because I simply wanted to tell you why I do not wish to continue with the Poly series, for the first time let me keep it below 400. I won’t poke my nose into a failed system although I know I should be doing that. I will not write Poly and the art of Impunity part 2 and the other parts that were to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY THE PRESIDENT WON’T SAVE YOU

A SHORT ACCOUNT FROM CHIRUNGA

A TRIP IN LILONGWE